Sunday, January 10, 2010

With a dreamy, far-off look and her nose stuck in a book

I have always loved to read. I remember often getting trouble at school because I would hide the book I was reading behind the text book I was supposed to be reading. The teacher would either figure it out, or they would ask me a question and I would be totally oblivious. That was a little embarassing. While I don't read as much as I used to, I still thought I read quite a bit. Since I tracked all of my books from last year, I was able to count how many I had actually read. It was an eye opener. I only read 53 books. Now that may sound like a lot, but that's only roughly 1 a week. That doesn't seem like alot to me. I was actually really disappointed when I counted them up. My husband pointed out that I do have 5 kids, work 24 hours a week and spend another 5 hours a week running another business. Frankly, I don't think those are valid excuses.

I started thinking of a goal I could set this year-100 books? Although I seamlessly fit in 53 books, I actually think it might disrupt my life a little if I doubled that number. I also think it might put a little bit of strain on my marriage. Why is it that husbands feel like a good book is competition to them? Aah, but I digress....maybe 60 is a reasonable goal? That would still only be like 1.15 books a week. I think I will do 75. That will be a better challenge. I am also going to try and read some more "intelligent" books. Sometimes I feel like the books I read are like fast food, quick, easy and disposable. I am going to try and be more selective and not just read something because it is there. There you go-a new goal for a new year. Help me out and send me recommendations, please!

(Lyrics in title are from "Belle" in Beauty and the Beast)

4 comments:

Hot Action said...

I love that you guys love to read! You guys have given me some great recommendations in the past. I have a YA blog, I dont know if I've ever told you tha. I have a link on my main blog--Cristine's Library.

Jen said...

You're too funny. I wish I could fit in that many books. Drew is upset at the 10 I have read...more would definetely strain my marriage. :)

I'm reading The Other Boelyn Girl right now. It is okay...not an intelligent book...if that is what you're looking for.

salgal said...

I love to read too, but you beat me by a long shot. I am 2 book clubs and I barely get those read and that is only 24 books. Chris hates when I get into books also. I too read a lot of fast food books. They're fun though. Have you read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? It's a classic--just simple. I just read Jessica Day George books on Dragon Slippers. They were cute. How is the Lace Reader? I have it but haven't read it. I am rambling.

Stephanie said...

I'm in two book clubs too! I love to read. If you listen to a book on tape you can do a project at the same time...like paint a room! I just read Gifted Hands...I loved it!! or The Poisonwood Bible was great too. The Hiding Place is another favorite! Have you read all of the Bronte sisters books? I am such a girl, I love Austen, Gaskell and Bronte! Are you politcal? I love Ann Coulter as well! Good luck and happy reading! Oh yea, I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn too, simple but slow.