Thursday, September 10, 2009

Here we go again

It's that time of year again. Summer vacation is officially over; back to regular bedtimes, and a little bit of peace and quiet the day. While I'm as ready for this as the next mom, I'm not sure if I am ready for all of the other activities that inevitably come along with the school year. There's piano lessons for Baylie and Lexie, which continued through the summer but now move to the evenings, there's violin lessons, which will replace piano lessons for Kelsie, there's soccer for Hallie, which involves a practice night and a game night, there's Activity days for Lexie and Kelsie and then there's cross country, play practice, young womens, and a very part time job for Baylie. On top of all of this I need to fit in math and LA for everyone, reading time, practice time, dinner as a family and a reasonable bedtime. I limit my kids to 1 activity at a time but with 5 kids it is still crazy! I feel like we barely have time to get through homework and practices and then it's time for bed. I would love for Lexie and Kelsie to also have a physical activity and Hallie to have a music or dance activity but there is no way we could fit it in. I waver between feeling good that we sit down together almost every night for dinner and feeling guilty that I don't let my kids take advantage of all the activities that are available. I know that I would have a hard time being a good mom if I were constantly running around every night, I know that it is important to choose between good things, and I know it is important for my kids to spend time in our home and with each other. So why do I feel like a bad mom whenever I hear about so and so who is a classical pianist, accomplished dancer and straight A student? (this is merely an example and is not meant to implicate a real person) I know people who seem to pull these things off and it doesn't appear to exact a toll on their family, why can't I do it?

And there you have it, the ugly truth of the matter. Unfortunately, I guess it all boils down to the usual "what's the matter with me". Not that that is a usual refrain for me. I try really hard to accept myself and not compare myself to others. I guess I am just sensitive about having my parenting abilities judged based on the skills of my child. We all want what is best for our kids, I just wish it were more obvious what the best things for each child were. So, for now I guess I just need to trust that I am doing the best that I can and try not to second guess myself too much. In the meantime, if anyone see's any glaring insufficiencies in my children, break it to me gently.

4 comments:

Jen said...

You're funny Nikkie! I liked your comment about hour by hour. It is very true. Some days are just like that. As far as the good vs. bad mommy thing goes, I think you're doing a great job as mom. We have been counseled to simplify life because family really is the most important thing we have here. The family warrants consuming the majority of our time. It's all we have after this life...

Anonymous said...

you are a great mom! my kids don't do any extra activies aside from homework and church stuff. we tried dance class and soccer last year but it was too hard to get everything done and get everyone where they needed to be at their alotted times. i guess it is just a toss up and whatever works for your family =)

Stephanie said...

Man Nikkie, are you nice! I can't stand driving my kids to all their "stuff". When one of my kids say "I don't want to play an instrument!" I shout horaay! One less thing! Family time is so important, how many sports you play...is not!

salgal said...

Here, Here Nikkie! I am already feeling it and my oldest is 9. Now I need to add 1 more thing to your list...when are we doing lunch?! Pick a date or 2 and we'll call Melinda.