Saturday, June 20, 2009

Grandma Davie


When I was a little girl, I grew up with my Grandpa Garrison and Grandma Mary (My Dad's stepmother) close by, and then Grandma Davie and George in Utah. Grandma Davie was my only "real" grandma. I can remember talking to her on the phone on occasion, getting Christmas presents from her and visiting her in Utah. I always thought it was so cool that she had a mountain in her backyard. When I was in first grade we went to Utah over Christmas and we went to her house. I have many memories of playing with my cousins there and taking pictures together. I remember sliding down the stairs in our socks with Jason and Tyler. Later, when I was 16, Holly and I came out to Utah to go to EFY and we were able to stay with Grandma again. She took us shopping and cooked for us and George showed off the rock in his basement. There were occasional visits when we were in college and later after I was married. Even though we did not live close by and were not able to see her often, to me, she was "grandma".

Sadly, on May 6,2009, Grandma Davie died. My parents were fortunate enough to be here and were able to see her right before she went. Extended family came together for her funeral and we all shared our memories of her. There were many things that I never knew about my Grandma, my Mom and my Grandpa. I was able to recognize some of the character traits that have come down through our family from my Grandma. Hard work and independence were two of the big ones. I also recognize acceptance. The ability to move on past negative events without letting them make you negative, and the ability to let people be who they are-for better or worse. Learning more about my Grandma's life and consequently, my Mom's life, has also made me appreciate many of the incredible things my Mom has done. She made the decision to have a strong marriage and family despite a less than ideal family life of her own. She chose to always share the positive aspects of her childhood with us and she chose to be married in the temple and raise us with the gospel.

2 comments:

Jen said...

You're up late...good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well.

salgal said...

Sorry for your loss. I also have fond memories of my grandma and it is hard when we lose them. Aren't you glad you have those great memories of her?!