Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Stalking myself

So because I got sucked into my computer today, I was randomly searching for things on the web. I decided to type my maiden name into google and see what I got. Well to my surprise, I found out that an experience I had submitted to the BYU Alumni magazine like 4 years ago had been put in their online section. Cool huh! I also found out that it would be pretty easy to find me if anyone was looking. I'm not sure if that's good or bad...
Anyway here is the story from the magazine:

California Dreaming
Nikkie Garrison Benson, ’93, Sandy, Utah
I will always remember a road trip I took over Presidents’ Day weekend in 1993. Seven of us took two cars and started early in the morning on our way to Los Angeles. We lost track of each other part way through the trip and, because these were pre–cell phone days, we had no way of communicating. Our solution was to pull over and stand on the side of the freeway until the other car came into sight. We did line dances, waved at cars, and got truckers to blow their horns as we waited. We have hilarious pictures to remind us of our craziness.
We made it to Los Angeles and stayed at the home of a friend, toured the “new” San Diego California Temple, and ate at a fancy restaurant. That night we drove to Mexico to stay at a friend’s beach house. We went dancing and drank virgin pina coladas and had fun flirting with the locals. As we drove out through Tijuana the next day, we had fun trying out our Spanish while we bought blankets and souvenirs.
The most memorable part of the trip, however, was the conversation. We talked about everything. In particular, I had a boy I was dating that I wasn’t very interested in; as we started talking about relationships, I realized that this boy had some really good qualities that maybe I should think twice about. I decided that when we got back I would give him a real chance instead of just thinking about how to get rid of him. We wound up getting engaged just one month later and have now been married for 11 years. That road trip gave me some awesome memories, international experience (I had never left the United States before this), and the opportunity to “meet” the man I would eventually marry.

No comments: