Friday, April 23, 2010

Tick Tock on the clock but the party don't stop...

New Years Eve! We decided to break from tradition and go somewhere this year. Our friend Nicole had a date and they were going to go to a masquerade ball. Sounds awesome right? Two words-Single Adult.

Now I don't have anything against single adults, I was just worried that it would be weird to go to a single adult dance as a married couple. In the end, I decided that the fun of dressing up and doing something different outweighed the weirdness.

The dance was up in Layton, so we planned on stopping for dinner before we went. Well, one thing led to another and we actually ended up picking up Olive Garden and then eating it in the car. It was mostly my fault-I haven't really had to "get ready" for much in a while, so it took longer than I thought.

We got to the dance about the same time as Nicole and her date. When we walked in I had an immediate flashback to the stake dances of my youth. Some people were dancing, but many were just standing on the sides of the room. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I saw. I'm not going to go into detail for fear of completely putting my foot in my mouth, but let's just say-anyone who is thinking about getting divorced because they think they are missing out on "the single life" needs to come to one of these dances. Now I am looking at it from an LDS perspective, so maybe being over 30 and single is much more fabulous if you're not LDS. Who knows!

Overall, we did have a great time dancing. We stayed until about 1am and then drove back home and had Nicole and her date over for ice cream. Jason and I both had a fun night and would definitely do it again next year. (Lyrics from "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

A single adult dance? You ARE brave! heehee!

Kriss said...

You guys look fancy in your
masks! Did you have to make them? That would be way over my head!

Jen said...

Playing catch up! Fun! Love the masks.

salgal said...

Nikkie you make me smile!